Saturday, April 08, 2006

getting there!

hi everyone,
it's so exciting to see more jackets getting finished! such an inspiration to never ever put this knitting down - eat pizza for a week to save cooking time, to hell with sleeping etc...! in fact, when i woke up i was thinking - shall i knit or shall i blog? only my foggy morning head and fear of making a huge mistake and needing to frog now has brought me to the lap top!!

so, how is mine going?


back? check
front left? check
front right? up to about row 50 - not far to go!

it's good, i've been able to think of other things like buttons and hemming. here are my dilemmas...



BUTTONS
i wanted dark wood buttons, but can't find what's in my head anywhere : ( so i found these two on the internet and thought i'd buy them and see what they're like. i really like both of them... stand alone (ie. not part of this project) my favs are the ones on the right. they're like long fingers! but i think they're too big for this jacket. which leaves me with the ones on the left, which i also like because they look like bamboo and there is a bit of an oriental feel to this jacket, don't you think? please do let me know your button thoughts!!

SEAMING

my other dilemma is how to seam. unlike the clever people who managed to hem the jacket whilst knitting, i've been left with 10 rows of hemming at the end of my pieces. i'm happy to sew them up, i think it's do-able (but will take FOREVER!) but i'm wondering: should i seam first and then hem or hem the pieces first and then seam. both seem to have their problems... i don't want to have to hem across seams, or seam across hems! thoughts and advice would be greatly valued : )

ok, time to go and say hello to my blog. the fogginess is lifting and i can hear the jacket calling!!
must rush...!
see you soon,
becks x

9 Comments:

At 7:23 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

I was wondering the very same thing about the seaming/hemming order controversy! In normal sewing wisdom, we would always seam first, hem second - but I don't know which would be best in this instance. I did knit the bottom hem in as I went, so we're definitely going to seam last on that, but the rest I planned on sewing down by hand. Can't wait to see what everyone thinks about this! BTW - I'm totally in agreement with you about the buttons; the "finger" ones are cuter, but a hair too big....

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Katy said...

I have already hemmed my pieces, so I am obviously planning to hem first and then seam. lol
I hope it works out okay!
And I like both sets of buttons. (big help, right?)

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Don't stress over the hemming. I think it'll be easier if you hem first, then seam, but maybe I'm saying that because I've already hemmed my first piece. As for the buttons, I like the long fingers. What the hell, sew them on; if you don't like them after a day or two, take 'em off and sew on the others.

 
At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can you please let me know what yarn you've used? Is it the Debbie Bliss aran tweed? If so, can you please let me know the colour number/name?

Many thanks!

Melita

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger becks said...

hi melita,
i am using debbie bliss aran tweed and it's shade 03. it's a rich peacock blue colour with flecks of grey, pink and purple, really beautiful! i found it very cheaply on ebay too.
becks

 
At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Becks - I thought so! I've been watching that yarn on Ebay too and considering using it. Can you tell me what the yarn is like to work with? Is it lightly spun - if so do you think it will pill?

Many thanks again!

Melita

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger becks said...

hi melita,
i've just finished knitting my jacket (yey!) and it's been delightful to work with. it's heavy enough to hold the pattern but soft enough to be easy to work with. ever so often it goes really thin (it's not a very even yarn) but it's not noticable in the end. i don't think it will pill either, hope not! the only thing i haven't tried yet is blocking it, so hope it blocks well.
i would REALLY recommend it for this project, i'm so happy with the finished result.
now i have to get seaming!!

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks Becks - excellent to know how the yarn knits up! I may try to find some in a store here to double check the colour and then order from Ebay...

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Makenzie said...

i just hemmed mine last night- after seaming. I found it was easier since the hems match the seam lines perfectly when folded down. I just sewed it to the seam line and then stiched one at every two or three running bars. it looks alright!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home